Mar 28, 2003

I’m more than a little amazed at how many people have been turning out for the anti-war demonstrations. The cynic in me questions the whole protester mentality especially when I read things like this. It’s a tough thing to only get peanut butter when you're a prisoner. Is there such a thing as protester chic? Is there a romanticism attached to the spirit of protesting (60s cool?). I wish people could be as motivated to go out and demonstrate about homelessness, affordable medical coverage and housing in the same kind of numbers (that’s not to say all the people demonstrating don’t care about these things - it's just interesting what makes people show up).

Admittedly, I have reservations about current events but, can anyone really deny removing this guy from power is a bad thing? It’s ironic given there’s no right to protest in Iraq. Some people who have lived in Iraq feel differently.

Saturday, while I was running errands an interviewer on the radio was asking one of the protesters what motivated him to “get off the couch” and get involved with demonstrating. His response was what’s going on in Iraq “isn’t what America is about.”

Ummmm... ever heard of Manifest Destiny? Absent the day they talked about the Monroe doctrine in history class? Never read about Teddy Roosevelt’s views on our country’s role in this hemisphere?






I just came across this image, don't tread on my Mickey D's?



No comments: